Sunday, December 28, 2008

This is my testimony!

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am a Mormon.
My testimony is very personal and precious to me. I write it here not to preach or flaunt, but because it makes up a large part of who I am. It is in my very essence, my core. If you are curious at all as to what makes me tick, it is essential that you know what I believe and know to be true.
Growing up in an active LDS (Latter-day Saint) family was a great blessing to me. I never really doubted the doctrine or my faith until I was out of the perilous teenage years (gratefully). But barely after, I had my trial by fire. It felt like all I had ever believed dropped out from under me. I was terrified and very confused for some time, and felt completely alone in my misery. I finally came to the decision that I was going to keep relying on what I had been taught and keep living the standards I had been living anyway, and hope that somehow and sometime my nightmare would end. It was soon after I made that choice that I found something in a book that resonated with me. I can’t recall the book or the author, but the idea was that sometimes God will withdraw His spirit for a time and allow us to drift to see if we will choose Him anyway. My choice, and the subsequent outpouring of the Spirit, was a pivotal point in my life. I grew up spiritually then and have never had cause to wonder again, even through the many and varied very personal trials I have been subject to.
I know that there is a God in Heaven, the Father of us all. I know that he loves us and desires nothing more than for us to return to him. I know that he sent his son to make that possible.
I know that Jesus is the Christ. I am amazed at who he is and what he has done. He went through untold agony for me. He is the Creator, the Light and the Life of the world. He is my friend.
I know that that Spirit, which we call the Holy Ghost, is very real. I benefit from the Spirit’s companionship and service continually. My sacred interactions with the Comforter have been most precious and powerful. This I cannot deny.
I know from whence my blessings flow. I am deeply humbled to have been granted the privilege of receiving the fullness of the gospel in this life.
I know the scriptures, including the Book of Mormon, are authentic and living witnesses of the reality of our Savior and his gospel. I know that his prophets through the ages were holy men, and that the fullness of the gospel was taken from the earth for a season, then restored completely in these latter days by the Prophet Joseph Smith. I know that we have a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson, who leads us today, and that the Church of Jesus Christ is the Lord’s true church on the earth today.  The Holy Priesthood, God's power on earth, has been restored and is exercised by righteous men today. I have witnessed this often. Temple work has also been restored, along with all the ordinances and covenants given anciently that are necessary to inherit the highest realms of eternal glory. I am so grateful! This knowledge brings me great peace. This is my testimony.
Perhaps I should share a bit more about what I know. A few years ago I wrote a letter to a friend who was struggling in life. Below is an excerpt:
What kind of a friend would I be if I didn't offer to you what I know to be the most incredibly powerful and complete cure to such pain and all manner of non-bodily disease? I admit I don’t know how everything works. I don’t have all the answers to life. But, I do know who to rely on for help and answers, and He has never let me down.
I believe I know your general opinion of organized religion. You’re right! It is flawed. Some of it, frightfully so! To some extent, even ours has kinks. Know why? Because every religion is run by human beings. However, having said that, I know that unlike others, our church is run by direct revelation from the top on down. I have experienced, first-hand, incredible service, faith, healing, and, yes, many miracles, as well as witnessed mistakes made by those in charge. The organization of the church always has adjustments. It may be imperfect because of those who serve in it, but the Gospel of Christ is perfect. In every way.
I think you would agree that there is an action / reaction flow to life. Cause and effect. If I do A, then B will happen. That’s exactly why commandments and laws have been given. They are rules, which if followed lead to inner happiness or at the very least, peace of mind. I am far from perfect (as we all are!), but overall, I have tried to follow the rules. I was blessed enough to marry one who follows the same rules. Because of my obedience, I have never had to have a moment’s thought about sexually transmitted diseases, the aftermath of drugs or alcohol, the slavery of tobacco or pornography, the pain of unwanted pregnancy or a multitude of other soul-suffocating ills that wreak havoc upon our society today.
I’m not so naive as to not realize that some of life’s tragedy is unasked for and thrust upon unsuspecting people who don’t deserve it. I've experienced and seen much of that. There can be great pain when that happens, but there is much hope and healing available. I know what I’m talking about! But, whether it be something we've done to ourselves or something that was heaped upon us, there is a great Healer! I know this! And, because I know this, I can have peace in my heart. Not just now and then, but continual peace to my very core.
You’re right! I have no clue what you've been through / seen / done etc. Likewise! That doesn't make my knowledge any less valid. I know that there is a God in Heaven. And I know that His son, Jesus Christ, came to earth and atoned for our sins of all kinds and flavors. I know to the point that if I denied it, I would betray not only my Lord and Savior, but my own self and conscience. I have had experiences too sacred to share which leave me unable to question anymore.